Welcome to my thoughts...even the sky is not the limit!




While I waited for my bus on the way home after work. Monday, February 2012. (mobile camera shot)

Sunday, August 11, 2013

Purely Will! - About a girl who wanted to play tennis but there was no tennis courts.

Hello there,

Today I want to share an inspiring story about two people. One person, who wanted something but never did anything to achieve it. The other person did something amazing to achieve the goal, and I really hope you guys will enjoy the inspiring part as much as I did/do.

We all go around and have lot of things, goals and dreams we wish we could achieve one fine day, I do. I have lot on my 101 things-to-do-before-I die-list. But for most of us the mundane things/activities get much of our time and we easily find excuses to postpone our goals and dreams for a while. And soon "a while" ends up as months and even years, and we see our goals/dreams far away in the horizon...vanishing slowly into a blurry memory of a dream we once had.

So there may be some way out of this generic tendencies of dropping our goals/dreams on the floor and settle for less. Sure there is and we all know what the solution is, but we do not take it seriously. The following will show you what I mean, and I hope it will take you out of your box and move you a little closer to your dreams.

Yesterday I went out for dinner with a lovely friend I've had the pleasure to meet here in Toronto. We did catch up on each other's lives. And as we walked looking for a nice place to eat, the topic came on sports.
Tennis! I always wanted to play tennis, be good at it, dreamed of playing it. But never played it - apart from the one time I had the opportunity back in primary school. And my friend told me she had played tennis. She is from Palestine, and where she lived, they did not have a tennis court. So she couldn't practice. But she really wanted to play tennis!

So if you do not have a tennis court where you can practice, but you want to learn playing tennis, what do you do? The solution seemed so effortlessly simple but amazingly creative: She watched tennis on TV and learned how to play! -  from learning the rules to how to hold a tennis racket, how to serve, etc. That's pretty amazing isn't it? "If I don't have a tennis court to practice, I will learn from watching it on TV" - she thought and she followed it up with watching, learning and playing tennis this way.

We are talking about a time where we were not privileged with holding a Nintendo Wii remote controller in our hand to play tennis - the first Nintendo Wii was released in 2006. A little while after our teenage years.

Then she entered university, and there they had tennis courts. She was excited! Finally! She started playing tennis. And while she was playing tennis at the university, one of the main figures in the tennis in Palestine was attending the games. After the game he asked her, where she had learned to play tennis. She told him that she had learned tennis from watching it on TV. No doubt that he may have been pretty amazed about her creativity and talent.
He said he was going to be her coach, and from here she headed towards the tournaments! How amazing is this girl's creativity? And determination about following her goal - playing tennis?

This story clearly tells that reaching your goal is about what you already have. The English proverb is just the right to describe what is needed:
"Where there's a will, there is a way!"

I found it truly inspiring to listen to her story!!

And the other person who didn't follow up on what she really wanted is simply me, I just put excuses as "couldn't afford" it/couldn't make it to the tennis courts on the table. Now writing this post here, I realize I could have done so much to make it affordable or to overcome all the other struggles to play tennis as one of my leisure activity back then.

Sometimes we get stuck, can not think out of the box, and let our passion/interest for something go away. And we settle for the less. We complain about what we didn't/don't have instead of thinking of the little we had/have to get started!

Yes, sometimes somebody needs to walk beside you, tell about what they did, and make you realize what is needed to be done!

Have a great weekend!
(Shared with you guys, after asking permission to write it here.)




    

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Spindelvævslys" on my coffee table

"Spindelvævslys" on my coffee table
"Bonded Sculpture" -(mobile cam shot)

Flowers of week 3

Flowers of week 3
I couldn't stand for these beautiful burned red coloured roses with a "rust/antic" look (can not be seen on pictures)

Waiting for my train in CPH Central Station

Waiting for my train in CPH Central Station
I couldn't just stand there and look at this beautiful scenery without taking a picture with my mobile phone.

My Scrapbook

My Scrapbook
My Scrapbook on my coffee table

Weekly flowers

Weekly flowers
Flowers of week 2

Rose

Rose
One of my drawings